Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Day on the Job

Well yesterday I finished up my orientation with a tour of the Canada Pavilions backstage workings and stopped off at costuming to get fitted for my lumberjack outfit and my Le Cellier uniform. Kind of a little kid thing but I've always loved dressing up so even if it is a bit silly I had a bit of a strut in my step as I walked to the bus this morning. Decked out in my red and black plaid shirt and my khaki shorts.

So my first day working at the popcorn/beer cart outside of the Canada Pavillion is underway. Now unfortunately it is summer here in Florida. That means it's HOT! And very humid. Not too mention i've had a head cold for the last week. So I'm a large man coming from a cold country to a hot one, who is only getting about %40 of his oxygen with each breath. Needless to say I was a sweaty mess in seconds. To which I apologize greatly to my co-workers and am very thankful that they were all courteous enough to pretend I had some dignity.

However, given enough time I did adjust and was able to relax and spend time interacting with the guests which I quickly realized just how much I missed. It reminds me of being on stage back in High School. The thrill of being and attraction all by yourself. I was so pleased when people asked about Canada or my hometown, or even had stories of their own about a visit to Guelph or their favourite Canadian beers. The highlight is of course the group of tourists who wanted to get their picture taken with a real live Canadian.

So yes i'm tired, sweaty, and my feet are blistered and sore (don't have the proper footwear yet so am wearing my dress shoes which are not made for extended standing) but I think Disney is going to be alot of fun.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your first day. Any cute little ones? I was happy to find your blog and hear your voice (even just through your use of commas).
    You should know that care package #1 arrives under Dan's name tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it!
    Loves.

    ReplyDelete